Construction, Engineering, Manufacturing and Production
4 Year Degree
The Project Manager will lead and participate in project execution efforts to construct, startup and commission new plants that produce chemicals and polymers using Novomer’s proprietary technologies. The position will be responsible for advancing the global deployment of Novomer’s COEth™ platform. Specifically, in the near term, the Project Manager’s role will be to develop and implement project management processes within Novomer and oversee the construction of the first commercial plant based on Novomer technology. The Project Manager will coordinate with engineering firms, external consultants, vendors, and other team members to ensure success.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
• Actively participates in the development of a project plan, with key focus on cost and schedule.
• Manages key interfaces between vendors, engineering firms, construction firms, consultants, regulatory bodies and Novomer staff.
• Sound knowledge of cost and contract management, including claims management.
• Experience with multiple phases of project from project inception to commercial close-out.
• Proven track record of working in teams of diverse disciplines which includes engineers (civil, process, mechanical, electrical), process scientists, operators, EH&S, and subject matter experts.
• Collaborates with the team to identify and prioritize development and attainment of key milestones that are compliant with approved commercialization timeline.
• Proactively manages project milestone delivery, identifies potential obstacles and issues, devises contingency plans, and engages stakeholders at necessary decision points.
• Compilation of Cost Estimates for all project stages, while proactively managing costs and schedule.
• Preparation of tender documentation.
• Preparation of cost reports.
• Writing and organizing necessary documentation to ensure smooth commissioning of commercial plants, from construction, to startup, and to full operation.
Desired Education, Work Experience and Professional Requirements:
• BS (Science or Engineering, Quantity Surveying or Civil/Mechanical Engineering Preferred)
• PMP/MRICS certification (or other relevant project management/construction certification)
• Minimum of 10+ years of international experience in any combination of the following disciplines: project execution, construction management, strategic procurement, contract/tender development and management, capital estimating.
• Strong project management skills and ability to work in a fast paced environment, while under pressure of deadlines. Ability to manage time, conflicting priorities, and multiple tasks.
• Capital estimating skills focused on oil & gas or petrochemical industry
• Exposure to strategic procurement practices
• Experience in dealing with EPC firms
• Experience in the rollout of international projects
• Comfortable dealing with difficult situations where the other parties are likely to disagree and push back.
• Able to know when it is the right time to stand his/her ground and push back against unrealistic requests or demands, and is able to marshal compelling facts in order to present cogent arguments supporting project’s timeline, costs, quality and completion.
• Builds appropriate rapport and constructive and effective relationships, using diplomacy and tact, and able to defuse tension when making tough calls and standing ground, while being flexible and adaptable to meet deadlines and objectives.
• Reads people and situations quickly and reasonably well, so as to project accurately what people are likely to do across a variety of situations.
• Comfortable stepping up to conflicts, can hammer out tough agreements and settles disputes, and can find common ground and get cooperation without losing momentum.
• Comfortable working alone on tough assignments, faces diversity or setbacks head on, and energized by tough challenges.
• Willingness to be a team player who strives to develop and build positive and constructive working relationships, and demonstrates sound and mature judgment in interpersonal communications and work relationships.
• Ability to interface, communicate, and collaborate effectively across multiple functional teams.
• Actively participates and contributes to solving problems and to making or reaching decisions. Displays passion, enthusiasm and creativity for improvement of self, others, team, and project.
• Detail-oriented, methodical and well-organized approach, while possessing a sense of urgency, and acting with the highest level of integrity at all times.
• Willing to admit and say “I don’t know,” and to ask for help in a timely manner.
Additional Salary Information: Competitive and commensurate with experience
At Novomer, every career is Catalyzing Green ChemistryTM. Novomer has positions at every level, with openings in multiple disciplines, requiring innovative problem-solving skills and intelligent risk taking. Novomer employees have a willingness to challenge the ‘status quo’ of the chemicals industry. Join the Novomer team and thrive in a work environment that is dynamic, flexible and open.
Nov...omer was founded in 2004 to develop and commercialize technologies that use carbon dioxide and carbon monoxide as feedstocks for the sustainable production of chemicals identical [equivalent] to known high volume commodity chemicals presently made from petroleum feedstock. Following successful commercialization of Novomer’s CO2 based platform, the “Converge Polyols” patent portfolio and operations were sold in 2016. Novomer is now focused exclusively on commercializing the remaining carbon monoxide based COEth™ platform. The COEth™ platform has yielded a range of renewable chemicals and bio-degradable polymers for use in consumer and industrial applications. Novomer’s intellectual property is protected globally with more than 300 patents and patent applications.
Novomer is globally rolling-out commercial plants with the objective of producing a million tons of renewable chemicals by 2025. The first plant utilizing the COEth™ platform will start-up toward the end of 2019 and will produce approximately 250,000 tons of products directed at consumer applications. Novomer’s corporate headquarters are in Boston, MA and R&D activities are carried out in Novomer laboratories in Rochester, NY.